• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Add option to disable "Automatically adjust microphone settings" in Skype for Business client.

Need the option to disable the "Automatically adjust microphone settings" in Skype for Business client.
    This option is available in "Skype" but not "Skype for Business".
    This is needed if you use SfB in a noisy or call center environment.

If you use SfB certified headsets with the best microphone noise cancellation it made useless, since the volume is adjusted in windows sound settings automatically by SfB.

This is really bad and unworkable scenario in call center(RGS) environment when the microphone level auto adjust when you make SfB calls, the clients clearly hears all the adjacent agents speak.

1,863 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Wielligh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

90 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Patrick Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microphone volume goes from 100 to 40 (inaudible) when a call connects. So, you can turn this off in the home version of the product, but on the pro version I have to manually change my mic back to 100? How is that a value add?

• Iain Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So backwards this is forced on us, its a feature to auto gain correct, why is it not an optional feature? My volume just drops to useless levels with this enabled.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem multiple times per day. It is extremely annoying and is causing me to avoid usinf SfB whenever possible. This needs to be fixed immediately.

• Kevin Glass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a must!! Managing the microphone level through Windows Microphone Properties pane is not viable.

• Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been requested for a long time now. Can this be changed already?

It's very annoying I have to keep sliding the volume bar up in SfB cause it slides back to 0 every time, this is a major bug.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 5 or 6 calls a day and have to adjust the microphone level in the recording device tab every time.

Skype has this option, it's ridiculous your business customers don't. We opt for GoTo Meeting as many times as possible simply for this reason. You're losing business.

when making calls using SfB, the people can barely hear me till i manually goes to the "recording device" tab in windows and push up the volume level bar of the microphone.

I have a perfectly working headset and want to make "private" calls. But currently can only use the "handsfree" option of the laptop for Skype calls as Skype always reduces the microphone of any headset I use to a level so I am too quiet to hear. Unusable!

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absurd this was ever shipped like this in the first place, and even more absurd it's been ignored for so long.

Conference room integration is a problem. We need to be able to turn off the leveler and use our audio DSP to improve the user experience.

This is really a shame for MS. Removing this funcitonality is disabling our capacity to integrate S4B into Conf. Room equipments and also impacting our Call Centers experience. A single checkox to enable or disable this function would make a big difference on user experience. MS don't assume everybody wants uses the tool on the same way.....

• Michael V. Coppola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Automatic Gain Control (AGC) and compression should be implemented in the client, not by adjusting global input levels.

• Christian LeBourgeois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a shame that they fixed this issue in Skype regular but the customers who spend 100's of 1000's of dollars to use this as their company wide communications software have to fight with the inability to statically set your volume. This is causing major headaches and aggravations to our clients as they deal with our sound solution that you can barely hear in one minute, but be blown away by the 100% increase in mic volume the next.

Please fix this. Users cannot use this for Conference rooms at all. We got rid of GoToMeeting to use our Lync solution and paid tons in licensing. Now we have people continuing to use GoToMeeting as their sound is horrible unless they are the only ones on the call using a headset or a handset.

• Richie Lombano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The dynamic adjusting of mic levels in Windows 7+ is killing our conferencing capabilities. No one should be attempting or looking into attempting to use Skype For Business as their conferencing solution. If a person is 5ft away talking, Skype for Business will AMP UP the mic to 100% level but the second someone a half foot away crinkles a bag of potato chips it sounds like a building is crashing down in your ear. Then it levels out and the person who is 5ft away is barely audible again until the auto-level catches up. Rinse and Repeat 20-30 times in an hour long conference and people are going to complain non-stop like they are doing for me.

Skype for Business is completely un-usable without this added in.

My microphone levels are constantly being screwed with by the client, and it's ruining call quality.

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my vote to the multitude of other votes... please listen to us.

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great. I'm having to adjust my Mic level at the start of every meeting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base