• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

15,383 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1307 comments

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Submitting...
    • Tito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I manage a non-profit organization that offers free IT Services, remote support, and PC Repair. We have a big need for Skype for Business for various reasons. We work on all types of operating systems both at the consumer level and for our staff. Being able to use your conference platform to assist Patrons regardless of what OS we/they run can help improve our mission from a communication standpoint.

• Mike Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am switching to Linux as primary work computer, required for the type of work I do. I just keep the laptop for skype; but of course as it sits there waiting, it goes to sleep. Of course, it needs to do that for security. Really needs to be on Linux...

• Craig Finnegan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Even if just a WebRTC client or something like the Skype Linux Beta, a lot of IT admins would be more willing to push organizations into Skype for Business if it worked on Linux, otherwise we fall back to Slack which is more feature rich. Thanks

• Michael Baumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed, although by now we have to come to the conclusion that Linux is and stays an unsupported platform. With all due respect though, literally every IT company has Linux users (mostly developers). If they are left out from a fluent communication, they will keep complaining about a broken communication chain and might eventually convince their company to turn their back to MS and use Slack, HipChat etc. throughout the company. If you are not willing to develop a native client, please at least provide a fully working SfB web app including screen sharing and Office 365 integration. Appear.in, Hangout and so on show that this is possible. I'm very disappointed by Microsoft in this regard.

• Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on MS open up the protocol so the community can create a client or release your own client for Lync ( refuse to call it Skype for Business at that is just confusing. This software is not Skype)

• Andrés Odio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of developers in software engineering companies use Linux for their primary machine, and it becomes a very big problem when the rest of the company tries to communicate with them.

Running Skype for Business within a Windows VM is a terrible workaround because the notifications are not integrated with Linux, which means that the developers never get to see them.

Does Microsoft at least have Linux support in the roadmap?

Thanks

• justweb1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@TEL RED Nobody wants to pay an extra $50 a year per user for a service that we already pay for. Especially, if it is not fully functional.

• Luigi Antelmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft really does love Linux, it should made all of its software available for this platform.

• Johan Thole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately needed! Now I run a Windows VM for MS Office and Skype for Business only. I can live with having to do my MS Office stuff in a VM (we're not allowed to use wine here), but it is a pain having to run the VM for each Skype for Business meeting as well.

• Olivier Lemaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft join the Linux foundation... just to ******* up even more M$ has always did - no need to argument, just see the fact: no Office support, no Skype support (Skype client for Linux exists on Skype prior to the Skype acquisition by Microsoft)...

• Bernard G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The solution at my company was to switch to hangouts and google services.

Much faster/more reliable and works on all devices without needing to install anything. I wonder why we didn't actually do it before.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype for Bus on Linux is desperately needed by large tech organizations with lots of Linux desktops. The rest of Office365 works fine in a browser, why not skype web app? Is anyone even reading these messages? Would be nice to see a reply from Skype/MS....

• Elias Faraclas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said tel.red is not a viable solution. Please, please, please make a Linux Desktop Client!

Feedback and Knowledge Base