• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

16,575 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1411 comments

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Submitting...
    • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My main development machine uses Linux/Ubuntu as OS.
      Currently I run SfB in a VM to join meetings with others within our organization.
      It would be a lot easier if there was a working SfB client application for Linux like the Skype client.

if ordinary Skype is supported on Linux than what is the challenge in releasing Skype for business client???

• Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a known fact that Linux is gaining market among software developers (see [1]) as well as in other industries. At many companies (including the one I'm working at) Linux is the dominant OS among the employees.

If Microsoft is serious about competing in the business segment (for instance with solutions like Office 365 E3), excluding Linux simply is not an option.

Right now, Skype for Business is the *only* day-to-day O365-technology that requires Windows, either on a separate machine or in a virtual machine on a Linux desktop (of which neither is an acceptable solution).

Full Linux support needs to be fixed A.S.A.P.

[1] https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2016#technology-desktop-operating-system

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is about time. Right now. Or, rather, more like five years ago... Please!

• pernecker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As majority of development people I worked on Linux and it is a pain to reboot for each meeting.

• Bryce Jett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Microsoft even read this? Would have been nice but we moved to Slack instead.

Ubuntu linux client is required. Most of the developers uses Ubuntu linux on their machine.

All of my companies systems are Linux which precludes us from using SfB as far as I am aware

• Fulup-bzh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have Linux user in or community which is the reason why we cannot use Skype for Business. Until this will be solve we will stick to appear.in

• Eric Sandgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The absence of linux support for Skype-for-business is the only reason I'm unable to use linux in our business-environment

• soso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a real pain that you don't support Linux. I was trying to join a meeting with colleagues from home, but I wasn't able to open the Skype-for-business-links they had sent me (no, the .msi-download option isn't helping at all, as other users pointed out before). This is really annoying. So many applications offer Linux support that it seems like standard nowadays. So why is Skype not able to do this?

• Jean Nouzeilles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny to say, Microsoft uses TONS of Linux servers. Starting with several of their exposed web servers. Easy to dig and catch which ones are Linux. But they deny adapting to Linux pretending their big shXt plaster of Windoze Zerver does something useful. It's not us who should ask Microsoft to give us a client like begging for the crumbles that fall from the table. It should be US, by not using their **** until we bring down their company. Unfortunately they will keep coding cheap bad code with lots of clicky-clicky and fancy colours until the last stupid dies away from the face of earth. They live off stupid people.

Feedback and Knowledge Base