• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

16,575 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1411 comments

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Submitting...
    • TherMite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm the Sr Security Manager for a very large organization. I use a Debian based Linux OS and have to manage a blend of on premise Domain based architectures, hybrid Office 365 environments with Exchange on premise and cloud based email accounts, and a decent sized Azure environment. I've embraced Power Shell, love the Linux Azure CLI, and have grown to love the Office 365 web based environment. I appreciate Microsoft's involvement in the Linux community and would love for you all to strengthen your Office 365 platform. I believe Skype for Business on Linux would just about complete Office 365 as a universal platform for businesses. I would probably never have to crank up my VMware Workstation Windows 10 VM if it wasn't for so many conference calls. Thanks for all of your hard work.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 but not getting hopes up as as far as M$ is concerned Linux does not exist..unless in the crosshairs a patent troll. I'm sure they know that putting Skype and MS Office on linux would kill off Windows 10 in a heart beat

• Kris De Volder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am going to recommend my collaborators, who are using Skype for Business to use google hangouts instead. That works on Linux, Windows and Mac and requires not software other than a Browser.

Please, do think about the Linux users. There't not much point in a collaboration software that excludes some users from collaboration because they are on a different OS.

I just got a meeting invite from someone who uses Skype for Business. It seems I'm not able to join the video conference because:

1) I can not install Skype for business
      2) There is a 'backup' link to a 'Web App' but when I click it it wants me to install an `.msi` on linux (I don't think that's possible).

So the only options are:

- using Telephone (no video)
      - convince my collaborators to switch to google hangouts
      - give my regrets and explain to them its because Skype for business doesn't support Linux.

Neither of these options are very good. (Though personally I don't care about Skype for Business, I think google hangouts rock, I'd be very happy if everyone just switches to that)

• Andrew Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Requiring a non-standard plugin to the browser just to open up voice/video support seems like we're back in the 1990's. By allowing secure communication to happen over an industry standard would allow all users, whether using Linux, or other Operating Systems to be able to use Skype for Business and collaborate with others using Office365. Most of Office-365 is already web enabled, why not include the voice/video capabilities as well?

Feedback and Knowledge Base