• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

16,575 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1411 comments

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Submitting...
    • Tai Lin Kuo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to use Skype for Business for daily engineering communication since we do not have Windows computers!!

• Gregory Savard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of developping a whole new client for Linux, why not contributing to an existing project such as Pidgin and Pidgin SIPE, which offers right now some level of interoperability.

https://pidgin.im/
      http://sipe.sourceforge.net/

In the meantime, our teams are switching to other solutions (slack and hangout) because they're lightweight and crossplatform.

• Stephen P. Schaefer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've got both Windows and Linux desktops/laptops, but sometimes one or the other is unavailable. When the Windows is unavailable, I still need access to Skype (or, rather, my colleagues need me to be available via Skype).

• MEP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredible that S4B has not yet a client for Linux. MS love Linux only in Nadella speechs?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also am using a linux environment with a Windows VM to use Skype to keep up with my company. However due to an issue in VirtualBox that I just haven't had time yet to narrow down, the audio is really messed up making Skype calls impossible. And I just had a situation where I was very late to a daily conference call because all our conference rooms were taken and I had to wait. Having a native client for Linux or a universal Skype for Business web plugin would have helped me avoid the issue.

• - commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spend most of my time working on my Linux host machine. I can only use Skype for Business when I'm working on my Windows VM, which happens rarely. I usually only find out someone wanted to have a Skype conversation when I get the email telling me the conversation (or request for one) was missed and saved. Please make a Linux client so I can get more use out of this very handy tool.

• Mitja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide us with native Linux S4B client. It is more than overdue. thx

Feedback and Knowledge Base