• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

13,718 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1120 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Nick Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As well as, or perhaps instead of, a linux desktop client, making the web app use standards like WebRTC instead of the current browser plugin that doesn't work with linux browser.

See:
          http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_sfb-mso_other/skype-for-business-webapp-using-webrtc/234413b7-888e-497c-aeb8-d53dc6bd7760
          and
          https://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-for-Business-webapp-using-WebRTC/m-p/4434637

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't worry, next year it will be Linux desktop year and you'll have all the Windows apps in there. Oh! the irony.

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently I couldn't get my bluetooth headset working in Windows. However, it worked fine in Linux. So I installed Skype for Linux and everything was perfect.

However, today I was being told that my Linux Skype can no longer receive the shared screens from Skype on Windows users.

When it was working, Skype on Linux was much better than on Windows - more stable, fewer ads (no ads), and better bluetooth compatibility. It just worked.

Please bring Skype for Linux back.

• Aaron Ball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see the protocol published and/or standardized so third parties can develop software for it. Currently the libpurple sipe plugin works, but only for text chat (though I'm happy to have at least that).

Producing a protocol spec so other users can make the clients would likely be much cheaper and less time consuming than developing and maintaining a native client for Linux. The chat clients and frameworks mostly already exist (libpurple, gajim, pidgin, bitlbee, psi, kopete, etc) and have integration with common Linux desktop interfaces (gnome, kde). Just publish the protocol please.

After all, businesses don't pay Microsoft for the protocol and clients, they pay Microsoft for licensing the server software and/or the hosting of the service.

• Philip Banta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support mainly Unix/Linux environments so my daily driver OS is Linux. At the moment I am running a virtual machine for the Microsoft office suite, mainly for the full functionality of Skype for Business calls, desktop sharing, etc. A Linux client that can support these features would be an amazing upgrade and more efficient daily tool so I do not have to switch back and forth (from my virtual machine to the Linux OS).

• Samuel Senoner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Research many users have Linux machines, so a Linux Version of skype for Business is needed to provide full experience

• Raul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, add Linux as Client. This is the only reason why our Company still uses Jabber as official Client. I hate jabber!

• kryptylomese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People at my company are fed up with Microsoft **** software and are now using alternatives to their offerings including Skype For Business, after all it is not the only communicator out there!

• Lynoure Braakman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm starting to feel the lack of Linux client is part of a desperate attempt to maintain Microsoft footing in the business world.

• Chris Hajj Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not something they are actively developing? Are they really in a spot to lose money or do they just not want to dedicate the resources?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization has been using Skype for Business since before I joined. They offered me the option of a Linux box when I joined which I happily accepted. Now I cannot join the daily morning meeting without logging into a coworkers spare testing machine. This is simply ridiculous. Until there is a Linux client, I am going to have to continue to suggest we transition to any other alternative.

• Jeremy Milligan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of proper support for business devices is shocking.
          Please provide a Skype for Business client for linux distributions.
          The business world will continue to use other competing products until you do so. Regaining confidence in this product (for biz) will be more and more challenging as time passes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the recent Ignite conference we were told "Microsoft loves Linux". This is a key feature that will impact our organizations decision to transition to Office 365. Please have a Linux S4B client available asap.

1 2 52 53 54 56 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base