• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

13,721 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1121 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • M.Schoofs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Azure, MS seems to be in Need ... and thus is collaborating with Canonical. ... for Skype they don't see the need I guess. ..

Skype for business should be available on all platforms.
          In a true cloud vision, there is no room for O/S dependency !!

• Liszkai Bence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a linux solution. I'm using a virtual windows under linux, just because of Skype for Business. It's a pain.

• Klaus Wiebe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was shocked Skype for Business is not available in the Linux environment. A communication tool should be able to establish one major thing: enable collaborators to communicate independent of platform restrictions.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if the Skype desktop client allowed you to join conferences by entering in a conference ID number. I have no idea why conferences are supported on both Windows and Mac but not Linux when there is already a Skype desktop app for Linux. I should be able to enter in my conference ID number and then join the conference from my desktop app.

Also, make the desktop client or web app capable of joining conferences without requiring payment for office 365 as some people just want to use Skype and don't want 365.

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 would like to use this application, it work very well with the standard application, let do the same for business.

My main development machine uses Linux/Ubuntu as OS.
          Currently I run SfB in a VM to join meetings with others within our organization.
          It would be a lot easier if there was a working SfB client application for Linux like the Skype client.

if ordinary Skype is supported on Linux than what is the challenge in releasing Skype for business client???

• Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a known fact that Linux is gaining market among software developers (see [1]) as well as in other industries. At many companies (including the one I'm working at) Linux is the dominant OS among the employees.

If Microsoft is serious about competing in the business segment (for instance with solutions like Office 365 E3), excluding Linux simply is not an option.

Right now, Skype for Business is the *only* day-to-day O365-technology that requires Windows, either on a separate machine or in a virtual machine on a Linux desktop (of which neither is an acceptable solution).

Full Linux support needs to be fixed A.S.A.P.

[1] https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2016#technology-desktop-operating-system

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is about time. Right now. Or, rather, more like five years ago... Please!

• pernecker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As majority of development people I worked on Linux and it is a pain to reboot for each meeting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base