• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

12,771 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1001 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on MS open up the protocol so the community can create a client or release your own client for Lync ( refuse to call it Skype for Business at that is just confusing. This software is not Skype)

• Andrés Odio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of developers in software engineering companies use Linux for their primary machine, and it becomes a very big problem when the rest of the company tries to communicate with them.

Running Skype for Business within a Windows VM is a terrible workaround because the notifications are not integrated with Linux, which means that the developers never get to see them.

Does Microsoft at least have Linux support in the roadmap?

Thanks

• justweb1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@TEL RED Nobody wants to pay an extra $50 a year per user for a service that we already pay for. Especially, if it is not fully functional.

• Luigi Antelmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft really does love Linux, it should made all of its software available for this platform.

• Johan Thole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately needed! Now I run a Windows VM for MS Office and Skype for Business only. I can live with having to do my MS Office stuff in a VM (we're not allowed to use wine here), but it is a pain having to run the VM for each Skype for Business meeting as well.

• Olivier Lemaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft join the Linux foundation... just to ******* up even more M$ has always did - no need to argument, just see the fact: no Office support, no Skype support (Skype client for Linux exists on Skype prior to the Skype acquisition by Microsoft)...

• Bernard G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The solution at my company was to switch to hangouts and google services.

Much faster/more reliable and works on all devices without needing to install anything. I wonder why we didn't actually do it before.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype for Bus on Linux is desperately needed by large tech organizations with lots of Linux desktops. The rest of Office365 works fine in a browser, why not skype web app? Is anyone even reading these messages? Would be nice to see a reply from Skype/MS....

• Elias Faraclas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said tel.red is not a viable solution. Please, please, please make a Linux Desktop Client!

• Matthias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tel.red is not a mature solution.
          We really need a proper solution for our Linux users as well.

• Yeah! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is BADLY needed. Please at least enable enterprise login to the existing client - cant be too hard. Windows is not the only choice any more - be a player in the new field!

• DV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it runs on Ubuntu we can consider staying with MS Office..

• Phil Bradham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please, Linux version would be great...at this point even a way to compile our own! My company is moving away from WebEx and 'Pidgin + SIPE' only gets chat (maybe, as I haven't had time to try and set that up yet).

Feedback and Knowledge Base