• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

11,978 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

893 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • DanKing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nothing more to tell. We've got designated Linux machines for developing and testing without VM or dual boot. It's a real pain in the 4$$ to participate Skype Business ConCalls on a second machine.
          So please start developing a SfB Client for Linux, it'd be very appreciated.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with the rest of participants in here. Linux for Bussiness client for Linux should be one of top priorities for MS.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As this uses SIP and is a PAID FOR SERVICE why can't we connect with a standards compliant SIP client ?

• Elias Faraclas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a Skype for Business app for linux! Right now I have a windows virtual machine which more or less is used exclusively for Skype for Business [Office 365 works great in the browser]. I have the Tel Red solution installed but it really doesn't work well at all.

Or, give us a full featured Skype for Linux and allow it to connect to Skype for Business as well!

• Michael Hammond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at least make public a sufficient protocol description for alternative client to be built. Better to have used a public standard to begin with, but better late than never.

• BA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add Skype 4 Business (Lync) for Debian / Ubuntu and other Linux distributions

• jp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. This blocks our ability to adopt the software.

• edfardos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company vendor-locked on skype-for-business already, and now has to buy hardware voip phones for every engineer who runs Linux or any open-standard device. I guess Microsoft doesn't put that little fact on the sales brochure.

• Nick Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As well as, or perhaps instead of, a linux desktop client, making the web app use standards like WebRTC instead of the current browser plugin that doesn't work with linux browser.

See:
          http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_sfb-mso_other/skype-for-business-webapp-using-webrtc/234413b7-888e-497c-aeb8-d53dc6bd7760
          and
          https://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-for-Business-webapp-using-WebRTC/m-p/4434637

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't worry, next year it will be Linux desktop year and you'll have all the Windows apps in there. Oh! the irony.

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently I couldn't get my bluetooth headset working in Windows. However, it worked fine in Linux. So I installed Skype for Linux and everything was perfect.

However, today I was being told that my Linux Skype can no longer receive the shared screens from Skype on Windows users.

When it was working, Skype on Linux was much better than on Windows - more stable, fewer ads (no ads), and better bluetooth compatibility. It just worked.

Please bring Skype for Linux back.

• Aaron Ball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see the protocol published and/or standardized so third parties can develop software for it. Currently the libpurple sipe plugin works, but only for text chat (though I'm happy to have at least that).

Producing a protocol spec so other users can make the clients would likely be much cheaper and less time consuming than developing and maintaining a native client for Linux. The chat clients and frameworks mostly already exist (libpurple, gajim, pidgin, bitlbee, psi, kopete, etc) and have integration with common Linux desktop interfaces (gnome, kde). Just publish the protocol please.

After all, businesses don't pay Microsoft for the protocol and clients, they pay Microsoft for licensing the server software and/or the hosting of the service.

• Philip Banta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support mainly Unix/Linux environments so my daily driver OS is Linux. At the moment I am running a virtual machine for the Microsoft office suite, mainly for the full functionality of Skype for Business calls, desktop sharing, etc. A Linux client that can support these features would be an amazing upgrade and more efficient daily tool so I do not have to switch back and forth (from my virtual machine to the Linux OS).

• Samuel Senoner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Research many users have Linux machines, so a Linux Version of skype for Business is needed to provide full experience

Feedback and Knowledge Base