• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

13,206 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1056 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. linux client is indeed needed. I do all of my development on Linux, I always have to try to find Windows machine somewhere for meetings.

The thing about SfB is that many people do not have a choice. They have to use it because their organization use it. Organizations include government, universities, etc... Forcing e.g. students, to move from one OS platform to another without having strong reasons for it, has some legal and ethical implications..

• vaibhav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't upgrade the cloud version to be capable of joining meetings...

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used pidgin with sipe plugin to chat with my colleague, but i need to start VM with windows if i need to join a skype for business meeting.

Skype for business should be available on all platforms.
          In a true cloud vision, there is no room for O/S dependency !!

I really need Skype for Business for Linux desktop. My main working environment is Linux. I am tired of switching to Windows just for meeting.

Skype for Linux looks mature. It is time to give us a Linux solution for Skype4Business.

• Malin Freeborn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for the project, would be really useful. Nobody likes running a VM just because an app is limited by OS.

• M.Schoofs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Azure, MS seems to be in Need ... and thus is collaborating with Canonical. ... for Skype they don't see the need I guess. ..

Skype for business should be available on all platforms.
          In a true cloud vision, there is no room for O/S dependency !!

• Liszkai Bence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a linux solution. I'm using a virtual windows under linux, just because of Skype for Business. It's a pain.

• Klaus Wiebe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was shocked Skype for Business is not available in the Linux environment. A communication tool should be able to establish one major thing: enable collaborators to communicate independent of platform restrictions.

It would be great if the Skype desktop client allowed you to join conferences by entering in a conference ID number. I have no idea why conferences are supported on both Windows and Mac but not Linux when there is already a Skype desktop app for Linux. I should be able to enter in my conference ID number and then join the conference from my desktop app.

Also, make the desktop client or web app capable of joining conferences without requiring payment for office 365 as some people just want to use Skype and don't want 365.

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 would like to use this application, it work very well with the standard application, let do the same for business.

Feedback and Knowledge Base