• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

11,978 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

893 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Olivier Lemaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft join the Linux foundation... just to ******* up even more M$ has always did - no need to argument, just see the fact: no Office support, no Skype support (Skype client for Linux exists on Skype prior to the Skype acquisition by Microsoft)...

• Bernard G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The solution at my company was to switch to hangouts and google services.

Much faster/more reliable and works on all devices without needing to install anything. I wonder why we didn't actually do it before.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype for Bus on Linux is desperately needed by large tech organizations with lots of Linux desktops. The rest of Office365 works fine in a browser, why not skype web app? Is anyone even reading these messages? Would be nice to see a reply from Skype/MS....

• Elias Faraclas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said tel.red is not a viable solution. Please, please, please make a Linux Desktop Client!

• Matthias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tel.red is not a mature solution.
          We really need a proper solution for our Linux users as well.

• Yeah! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is BADLY needed. Please at least enable enterprise login to the existing client - cant be too hard. Windows is not the only choice any more - be a player in the new field!

• DV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it runs on Ubuntu we can consider staying with MS Office..

• Phil Bradham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please, Linux version would be great...at this point even a way to compile our own! My company is moving away from WebEx and 'Pidgin + SIPE' only gets chat (maybe, as I haven't had time to try and set that up yet).

Guys if you are searching for some variant you could use HP my room, it have a better performance on sharing screens it also have client on both environment windows and linux

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently we use a third party alternative. Skype is better, but of no use if you can't talk to everyone.

• Krishna M S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

We are currently using the consumer version of Skype and considering Skype for Business. Unfortunately there are 10 Linux developers who use Skype regularly. We badly need a Linux client very badly.

• Michael Baumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really, really need this client, fully featured! Please, there's Skype for Linux now, but you don't support your paying business customers? Developers use Linux regularly, often because their legacy tool chains don't allow anything else or simply because some tools are only available on Linux. Right now in my company I have to start up a Windows VM just to join a meeting, which is ridiculous! I need a client able to show my Skype online meetings in my Office365 account, able to dial out, able to do screen sharing and everything else.

Companies like appear.in offer all chat solutions and even screensharing x-platform in a browser!

Yes, please make a linux version of Skype of Business. And use standard open protocols too.

I'm working at a German >300.000 employee company and we only have this Skype **** for video conferencing and screen sharing - that's a real pain ********** for all Linux SW devs.
          We're still working to get Ciscos WebEx back for the whole company since they provided Linux support. ****** support, but at least it worked somehow.

• Johannes Stadler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main reason why we still have to use Google Hangouts if we want to start a quick video conference even though we would have Skype for Business. Always starting a virtual machine etc. is really inconvenient...

Feedback and Knowledge Base