• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

11,978 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

893 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My desktop platform is Ubuntu Linux, and I get invited to Skype for Business meetings from time to time. Its unavailability on Ubuntu Linux is really inconvenient.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you don't make Skype for business available on Linux I'll have to insist my many suppliers don't use it and stop buying your other products. I have a Personal computer (i.e. Windoze) for personal stuff and a real networked computer environment for business. (ie Linux)
          Come on guys - you are a commercial organisation - Why cut off part of the market out ?

• Juanjo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make Skype for Business available for Linux would be a great idea. The standard Skype client is it already available, so adding the professional one shoul be easy for Microsoft.

Other competitors are available in both, Windows and Linux. Why not professional Skype?

• Van Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I and most of my coworkers would like a native Linux Skype for Business version so that we do not have to switch computers for online meetings.

I'd also like a full Linux version of Office since the online versions of Excel, for example, lack features and have other limitations (e.g. formatting is lost when copying from online Excel to online Outlook).

• Arrrr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just received a request for Linux desktop client, for Skype for Business. Apparently, a lot of the Techies we work with, use Linux desktop.

• Gulraj Rijhwani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ever since Microsoft acquired Skype they have made its use clunkier and more difficult on Linux. With the introduction of the integration with office 365 and the "for business" offering they have effectively made it impossible for a Linux desktop user to participate in group working sessions. Linux support needs to be incorporated, and urgently, preferably without all the unnecessary clunkiness that has been introduced recently.

• Francisco Perez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

In my current project I am working with a Linux Laptop and I don't understand why there isn't Linux desktop client for Skype for Business when you can have a Linux desktop client for Skype (free version).

My understanding, the benefits of having a Linux desktop client for Skype Busines is great for Microsoft due Microsoft can cover Corporate Linux market composed by engineers, developers, etc. use Linux due the nature of the project and Corporate Windows Users which sometimes are stakeholders, users, etc.

I look forward to hearing about a Linux version for Skype Business.

Regards,
          Francisco Perez

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Microsoft..... I have a question, how many people are needed to vote on this before it will be seriously considered also, how long would this take Microsoft to implement Skype for Business on Linux?

I ask this because it's a no-brainer that Microsoft would rather us use Windows but there is definitely an untapped market if Microsoft will need to look at this from a business aspect. There's a large population of Linux users which is growing every day that would a. love to use this and b. those that really would need Skype for Business on Linux.

Feedback and Knowledge Base