• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Linux desktop client for Skype for Business

Ignore the Category.
    Make the desktop client available for Linux.

15,941 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1357 comments

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Submitting...
    • Sergiu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Web or desktop application for linux, would be grate.. To be abel to join meetings and talk.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello will be good to have Skype for business for Linux, keeping Virtualbox only for windows 7 and SfB waste of time and resources. Kind regards F

• geoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, because one of my clients uses skype for business, I have to buy a dedicated windows laptop just to serve that client? I'd rather persuade the client to use Webex

Come on, Microsoft, create a linux version of the client or just the plug-in

Need skype for business for Debian. Please make a deb package. Msi doesn't work on Linux

• William Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Skype for Business was really based on Skype, we would have it already for Linux. But Skype for Business is really Microsoft Lync underneath, a historical Windows communication program.

Microsoft runs the risk of running down the brand value of Skype by not having it inter-operable, which is what made Skype valuable and popular. It worked for everyone.

In the end, it should be possible to make a client for Linux that uses the underlying framework. The challenge is to do it well and have it "just work". I would recommend concentrating on Ubuntu as a delivery platform.

The StackOverflow developer survey shows that Linux is the most popular software development platform, so Linux is not going anywhere any time soon. The thing to do is to include it in your future roadmaps for your business software. Ignore the Linux community at your own great risk of industry disruption. Interoperable cloud and web services are the way to go.

Lost of developers use Linux systems for development, but need access to SFB in order to maintain comms with other people in their companies. This would be an enormous boon to all concerned!

• Eric L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've started working with a customer who has Skype 4 Biz and we're pushing him to use our system (Bluejeans) which works under more than one OS. A single OS tool is just not acceptable any more in today's world.

Feedback and Knowledge Base