• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Allow changing location when connected with remote desktop

If I am working remotely through remote desktop and in a different physical location than my computer that is the time it is most necessary to update my location.

380 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Brit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So apparently this is a known issue per MS - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2500669/you-can-t-set-your-location-in-lync-from-a-virtual-machine-or-remote-d

Yet, I can manually change my location in Skype on my workstation, and I can manually change my location using Lync 2010 on a virtual machine. However, if I am using Skype for Business 2015 or 2016 I can't manually edit the location. Why not? Why can't we enter our location manually?

• Scott Steidle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of response on this issue diminishes the value of this board. This site is going to fall into disuse of MS does not at least respond, but preferably fixes this issue

• Dinis Pereira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same problem. When I work remotely is when I need this feature. Until now I never even thought about it... Please remove this limitation

• Rik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All,
          I do have a work around for this very annoying "feature", it is not the best solution but the only thing I can think of.

I created an image with the text "I'm currently Out of Office" in a nice red border.

I then set this as my profile picture. This at least gives a visual display to the other users on my whereabouts.

I hope this is of some help to you all :)

• Dick Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought I was doing something wrong. I've looked for the setting that either blocks or allows users to change their location remotely. I cannot imagine what any developer would think this was a good idea.
          We need to be able to change location remotely!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came across this bug for the first time today. Due to workflow and processes my only option is to sign out of Skype and not use it, which is a shame because there are some good features.

• BillW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the dumbest restrictions ever! Who thought that was a good idea? Why would I not know where I was (last nights bottle of tequila not withstanding that is).

• Dave Matthews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this change, it is ridiculous that you cannot set the location when using a RDP session. I connect from home via VPN and remote to my computer at work. I need to advise people the location I am working from. Thanks.

• FLJeepGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge problem as more and more of my organization's employees work remotely. Most use remote desktop via a VPN connection to connect to their workstation which never leaves their desk at work. Not being able to see the real location is ridiculous. As more of the world's workforce mobilizes, the display of accurate location information becomes more and more important. There is no technical reason that this setting should be disabled and there are overwhelming reasons that it should be available at all times!

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft: if skype CANT FIGURE OUT WHERE THE USER IS (virtual machine, rdp, etc), then wouldn't it be logical that the USER should have to enter that information!!!????

Your current model FORCES SKYPE TO DISPLAY DATA IT KNOWS IS WRONG. When I RDP to my office machine from home, I need to be able to set the location to "Working from home", not leave it locked at the "at my desk" setting. But skype says, 'You are connected via RDP, and I have no idea where you really are - therefore you can't change your location.'

Fire whoever approved that design.

• MarkS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

could not agree more, not only is it limiting usefullness, but it really makes it useless.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base