• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Combining Skype & Skype for Business client

Need the option to have business and personal contact come.together in 1 Skype interface at the client end. I don't want to have to run two instances to communicate with different groups. I also have a subscriptions linked to my private Skype account, which I'd like to be able to use to make calls to business contacts.

6,318 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Wes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

63 comments

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Submitting...
    • Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think "fully" combining the two services would create more problems than it solves because "Skype for Business" isn't really Skype at all - they changed the name of Microsoft Lync when they bought Skype and there are some significant differences between the underlying technologies.

What would be REALLY nice though is to be able to manage my Office 365 Home Skype account and Office 365 Work account in the same app for both desktop and mobile. Kind of the same way Outlook 2016 is - work and my personal e-mail accounts in the same place even though they're kept separate. That way you could set up different ringtones for your personal and work calls, automatically "silence" one account when you're in a meeting on the other one, etc. That would be awesome. And for people that have MULTIPLE Skype accounts (e.g. you want to route yours, your spouse's, and your work account through an ATA device) it would be an AWESOME differentiation for Microsoft. I haven't found a single service on the market that's thought of that yet.

• Dominic Coombe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need to combine skype into skype and skype for business.
      Also need to update the client so it can be used as primary sms and mms messagener as well as skype functionality. I am tired of having multiple apps on my phone and computer to perform this task. Facebook messenger does it but want the ability to control through 365 permissions

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am encountering the same issues like Tim. I had S4B and then installed Skype. Both apps worked for a day. Now both have gone kaput.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to run both Skype and S4B on a computer? I recently installed S4B and they both ran that day but ever since then, I cannot connect to Skype. It says I have the wrong password. I also routinely get Microsoft errors now. No wonder Google is building a better product now

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The regular Skype client is the most confusing I have ever seen. Skype for Business is better, but still needs work. It would be fantastic to consolidate the two, and employ the latest metric based UX techniques to increase usability. Yes you can conduct Skype conversations from Skype for business, but the functionality is not the same.

Yeah, if there is no way to move contacts from my personal account to SfB, or to have alerts from my personal account go to both, this is a completely useless program. We have just moved over corporately and I know 0 people who bother with SfB due to this.

• PeterGV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You really need to be able to seamlessly interact with Skype clients from SfB. How know how annoying it is to try to add somebody to a SfB meeting, only to discover that they're a non-SfB user... they're on consumer skype. Now why wouldn't adding a consumer Skype user to a SfB conference be allowed? Very annoying. Please...

• CR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aside from window sharing with control, which SfB is very good at, regular Skype is much better across the board. Skype is fast while SfB performs like a slow web app. Skype shows conversations reliably while SfB splits conversations into little pieces and often cannot loses history.

Taking regular Skype and adding business accounts to it and screen sharing would probably be the right approach.

• Valentino Bugatti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is inconcevable that the company who provides this service (I think skype belongs to Microsoft now?) could leave such a glaring gaping hole in the system. I wasted hours today tryubg to send a contact, share a screen then send a file - All impossible!
      The experience apart from frustrating me prompted me to look for alternatives...
      I went to the "join.me" application and YEAH! I was having a collaborative 3 way in seconds!

Skype has become redundant. Bye to another dinosaur!

I have actually had people tell me to stop using Skype for Business and only use Skype due to compatibility problems.

• Shaun Ferry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the current integration with standard Skype is terrible! most contacts, cant actually be contacted and usually show as offline despite correct config.

• Jacob Ouaknine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

too many client already gave and use their personal skype ID. After migrating them to 365 with Skype they all want it linked because now they have to re-invite and it is too much of a pain. This is very important guys and companies dont see the reason to purchase skype for business if they cant do that.

• Derek Sparks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just can't get S4B to work. I can connect. I checked my SVR and everything comes up green. I turned on both external contacts and IM for regular Skype users. Every single one only comes up as "Presence Unknown" and I can't connect. This seems to be a common issue if you look it up. Not to mention that many of my business clients, vendors, partners on external don't use S4B. It's just easier to continue using regular Skype. S4B just seems like an effort to reinvent the wheel but "let's make it square instead of a circle this time!"

• Shane Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The most recent OD4B client allows personal and business so no reason why Skype can't do this as well. While you can communicate to personal Skype users and vice versa, the option to log into both your business and personal accounts on the one client would be nice.

My company is using skype for business, as that's what Microsoft is pushing for. Right now I can only login with my sfb account, it does not allow me to sign-in to Skype for Business with my regular Skype account (or link up my regular account); so I am not getting any message that people are sending me to my regular account!

• Rune Lundsted Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of combability with "old" Skype for consumers is main reason that I do not use SfB. It is really a petty, because it has great sharring options.

This needs sorting, we have clients still using Skype and I am pushing for the whole group to use SfB (As it is brilliant!!!) But if the Skype user is on IOS or Android they can not communicate with SfB users. Fix this and I have 450 users who will use SfB! At the moment they are all still using Free (And this is what MS need to focus on, Free!!!) Skype not the paid (MS this is lost revenue!!!) Skype for business. Please fix it!!! We are willing to pay for a working product.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base