• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Minimalist Mode

The smallest window size for Skype for Business is almost 1/4th the screen on a 4:3 ration monitor. My names/contacts are only half the width. Additionally 1/3rd the height is to buttons/status that could be reduced as well.

I would like to see a minimalist view and be able to shrink the menu/status bars as well.

4,447 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      EP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

94 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Ming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For people that are suffering from this, here is a temp. workaround. Make Skype always on top in the tools menu, then move the window half way out of your screen to the right. Hope this helps.

• Weblee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were just upgraded and lost so much screen space to the "phone like" texting format! We forwarded our feature request for a plain, no frills tech support mode to our Microsoft TAM. To find out this has been a long time/ongoing complaint!!! WOW!! It's clear no one is listening. does anyone have a work around?

• Brent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bump!

Contacts window is still too big. C'mon Microsoft, give us some control over how big that window is. It's ridiculously big.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype, if you won't make a compact window for contacts, will you please at least give us a tool so we can customize the spacing and font ourselves? Need this for Windows and MacOS versions.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get a slim, compact, window for the contacts list? Why does Skype force a minimum width?! I'd like to use the contacts list as a side-panel flanking Outlook.

Many people are wanting the same thing. Skype team, are you listening?

• Adam T Sanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this still isn't a thing. How hard is it to design a clean, efficient, minimalist interface?

• Ran Dom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Functionally, Lync was far superior. Skype typical drops the ball in screen sharing and has to be restarted. The comment below "skype for children" certainly describes the US. We used Lync for internal conf calls with 250 people, with screen sharing, no problem. 5 people on Skype is asking for it ... even free Skype is better. Do it right, or don't do it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hereby support and/or endorse this product and/or service! (idea)

Back when this was Lync the desktop client was MUCH smaller in foot print. It does need to lose some weight.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its absurd how large Skype for business still is 2 years later. Microsoft you are acting like a joke, not the leader of the technological world.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Entire skype contacts list needs more options. Currently it's massively restricted, not to mention almost every aspect of the application is sized far too large.
          ► Ability to reduce the white space between contacts. It's basically double spaced currently and that is a huge waste of screen real-estate, which is precious for everyone, but especially in ... BUSINESS
          ► Ability to use smaller menu buttons (contacts/conversations/phone/calendar/options (or have them scale down/up to match window size)
          ► Ability to make the skype contact list more narrow, we shouldn't have to hack the .exe with a hex editor to do this!

Also:
          Bring back the ability to remove the block of pictures in a meeting without having to pop them out and minimize them. We should be able to just minimize them within the main interface.

• Person commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!! Make it simple, so much space is being used at the bottom, the icons can be smaller. In the conversation area we do not need to see the picture of the person we're speaking with in every message. Do not leave a space between messages sent separately from the same person...basically, take a look at a jabber conversation window and do what they do.

• Rahmbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Just forced to take Skype over Office Communicator. I hate using Skype. Such a screen hog Skype is! So much WASTED space.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why bother giving feedback. They don't care and won't bother to improve the program.

• TLouise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I just want to see the name and status for the most part but have no way to shrink the size. What are they thinking?

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. Running SfB at 1/4 screen size, I can see four lines of conversation. The rest of the window is full of oversized icons that take huge amounts of vertical space. The conversation itself is double-spaced because of the speech bubbles.

Displaying the conversation is the entire point of the IM application. It should not be relegated to a postage stamp.

A truly compact mode was one of the top requests on the old consumer Skype discussion boards for nearly 3 years.

• Meg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The text in the IM window should be the most important thing. I do not need giant buttons surrounded by whitespace to make it easy to access video/phone calling when my colleagues don't even have webcams or digital audio setups.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base