• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Store the conversation history within the application, instead of requiring Outloook

It's utterly bizarre that if I want to look back over previous IM conversations with someone - even if they were only a few hours ago - I have to use a separate client instead of having them right there in the IM window itself.

It's even more daft, given that normal Skype has this capability, but Skype for Business doesn't. So the supposedly premium tool is missing a key function which the free tool does have.

By all means, store the conversations at server level separately as well, so that we can access them independently of the client if necessary. But don't do that at the expense of the client, which is where most people would expect to see them.

13,227 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Mark Goodge shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

191 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • PB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah once again, MSFT not considering the UX ... like, at all. This seems to odd to even the most basic users. Although there may be a really cool technical reason Skype was set up this way, it makes zero sense to most of us who just want a basic chat tool.

Want to know how to fix this issue? Stop using MSFT products. Slack, G-Suite, many others out there....****, I could SMS text more easily.

• Nicholas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This lack of the most basic essential feature is insane. My company needs to look elsewhere for a chat tool. The conversations tab in the main skype window is useless beyond a link to outlook, and the conversation history format in outlook is hopelessly obtuse to use.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely the stupidest "engineer mindset" ******** here.

MS need someone like Steve Jobs. Someone who has an eye over all this ****, see's something like this and calls the engineers out on the absolute ******** that this is.

I cannot even begin to understand the mindset of the designers of the product that they can sleep knowing they are so bad at their jobs.

Absolutely the stupidest "engineer mindset" ******** here.

MS need someone like Steve Jobs. Someone who has an eye over all this ****, see's something like this and calls the engineers out on the absolute ******** that this is.

I cannot even begin to understand the mindset of the designers of the product that they can sleep knowing they are so bad at their jobs.

Does the phrase "utterly bizarre" even adequately describe just how magically mysterious this functional omission is? Oops, I accidentally hit the Escape key and closed the chat window. Hold on while I open Outlook >> Expand my account >> Conversation History >> Find the conversation we were having >> Scan the thread for the info I need >> Oops, wrong thread >> back to Conversation History >> Find the conversation we were having >> scan the thread for the info I need >> Switch back to Skype and continue. Now that's great UX!

• Evan Daily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you serious? A separate app for something that free Skype does out of the box??? MSFT what's up here?? I'm I right to assume here that since this has been open since 2015 this change is never going to happen. Boo MSFT.

• Juliano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it that difficult to show to message history just like the Skype app?
          I mean, seriously. It is just the message history, it's not like creating a AI...

+thousandsVotes make this happen

• ju gag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here. Need to use SFB at work now because of a business deal with MS. Now I have a new app. that give me less than the older versoin. wtf? Don't you guys know what an UPGRADE should be?
          If you could at least put the conversation history in chronological order in the chat box ... but no, not even something that obvious have been considered i guess. Fail.

I am just appalled that an IM messenger for business does not store chat history. Just WHY???

This really needs to be added. It is a pain to have to go into outlook to see chat history.

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can view conversation history in Skype for Business, it's a separate tab called "conversations".

• yves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE fix this problem
          Yes i love that my history is in outlook ( when i search in one spot) BUT For the love of all living things also keep previous conversion in the thread so that i can scroll up and copy that important message i received 5 mins ago.

This is an insane omission. Has anyone at MSFT used any other chat client? You double click your contact, your chat history should just BE THERE.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base