• Feedback by UserVoice
  • Tell us how we can improve Skype for Business

Add the Standard Edition Front End Role to Skype for Business 2019

It was announced at Microsoft Ignite 2017 that there would be no Standard Edition Front End role in Skype for Business 2019. Enterprise Edition using a full SQL back end will be the only option going forward. While this is a clear pain point for many small and medium sized organizations, even very large organizations use Standard Edition server in branches and offices where survivable branch options do not provide enough functionality. I would like to see the Standard server live on to meet this smaller footprint need.

512 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Anthony Caragol shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Submitting...
        • Tony Richards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Standard edition front end pools are a must if I'm going to test deployment scenarios in a virtual test lab. Unless MS is going to remove the requirement for an HLB for 80/443 traffic.

• Rob Nance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This gets my vote for no other reason than Microsoft is trying to force people onto SaaS. As a former Exchange engineer, I have to say, not pleased. I watched the way they have held back features from Exchange in favor of putting them in Office 365.

They are doing their best to make the software solutions only make sense for large clients, they are trying to push out small and mid size companies, but really, more than that, just anyone who isn't a mega corp it feels like.

• Chet Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just gave a presentation betweeen SE and EE and how our recent outages were under 15 mins compared to the same scenario about two years ago, when running EE, that one took over 5 hours to recover from.

• Chet Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring SE back (yeah)
          Them other EE don't know how to act (yeah)
          I think it's special, what's behind your back (yeah)
          So turn around and SE will pick up the slack (yeah)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MY VOTE IS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Running Enterprise Edition has caused us numerous elongated outages!

• Paul Hawkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This news is not welcome at all. I work a lot with SME customers who use SE. Having to tell them they are required to deploy full blown SQL is not going to go down well at all. I understand that MS is looking to force these orgs to use Cloud PBX but this will not be received well by many orgs - who may require feature sets only available to on premise deployment.

• Anthony Caragol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous is right, SBA will be supported, but at the 2015 version. There won't be a new 2019 version, but there weren't a ton of changes since Lync 2010 regardless.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see reference below to "loss of SBA functionality". That is not part of the current plan. SBA is expected to be supported in Server vNext.

• Amanda Debler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have about 50 SE servers worldwide, many of which are in locations for which O365 will not be a realistic option in the foreseeable future.

• Anthony Caragol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 server Enterprise FE pools have been supported in the past too, but not recommended. I think this changes that stance. It's the SQL license burn that I think causes the pain here, if we could use SQL Express collocated with the EE FE, there wouldn't be a problem.

• Jeff Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

During the Ignite session on vNext, they mentioned that a 1 server Enterprise FE pool is fine. Do you feel this is a valid solution for these scenarios?

Just genuinely curious based on what you see in your deployments, I still added my 3 votes!

• Jared Gradle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will have a huge cost and technology impact on customers. Lots of customers use standard edition servers where there is not enough infrastructure to support enterprise edition requirements.

• Tommy Mhire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have multiple large enterprises that use standard edition in pairs to provide local service for their smaller international offices. In those offices they don't have the san infrastructure or LB infrastructure to accommodate an enterprise edition pool (or pair of pools for HA), nor do they have the support staff to service that infrastructure. The cost/impact would be insane.

• MarkC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree - this is going to be difficult, especially with the loss of SBA functionality as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base