• Feedback by UserVoice
  • How can we improve our recently released features?

Provide support for desktop sharing while in a meeting broadcast

Provide support to share out a presenter's desktop/application while producing a meeting broadcast.

1,014 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Skype Experience Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Submitting...
    • Marco Cerrato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need desktop sharing. Any idea if it is ever going to be implemented? Looking for other alternatives. Any suggestion? Do we need to purchase special hardware or software?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desktop sharing is a key feature that is missing from Skype Broadcast- when will you add this?

we urgently need this feature. We run Office 365 and we work with schools to use Office 365 and we provide them with webinars. We need to be able to share desktop so that we can do live demo's

• Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is essential for delivering webinars and using Skype to its full potential. Other companies have had this technology pushed out for years. How is MS so far behind in this regard?

• AF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ref Jeff's valiant attempt to find a fix for Desktop Sharing (below), has anyone else found that the fix only work when the desktop to be shared joins the meeting as an additional input?

Following the instructions on a single PC removes the capacity to start the broadcast and manage inputs etc....

Come on Microsoft - sort this one and turn a 'product with potential' into one which really delivers.

The only other solution is, as noted elsewhere, to use a Magewell converter or similar. Great devices, but not a solution for the untrained and less confident users who don't have access to multiple devices.

• AF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is so disappointing that this feature is not yet available.
      Having used SMB to great effect for the launch of anew division last year we want to empower our users to use this same technology for delivering training and update sessions. However desktop sharing is essential and if not made available will force us down other lines.

• Fredrik Elvatun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the former comment. This is a dealbreaker.

Another is the Microsoft Pulse integration. The web registration page even fails to create an account.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Highly requested feature!
      Please consider to implement this in the near future, it's still a dealbreaker for many customers.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a temporary workaround for this issue, but it's sort of a pain. Here is what I found:

1. Login to broadcast.skype.com and set up the meeting broadcast with your desired settings.
      (Keep in mind that I have been testing this with the Anonymous Link option).
      2. Join the meeting as a team member with the link that was created in step 1.
      3. Depending on your login settings, you may have to login again with your credentials to access the broadcast. After logging in (or if you don't have to re-authenticate), you will be redirected to the meeting.
      4. If you have the Skype for Business app installed, you will be prompted by your browser to choose: Open Skype for Business 2016. Click the button to open the app.
      5. When prompted, choose the option: Use Skype for Business (full audio and video experience) and click OK.
      6. If you click the Share Content button, you will notice that you cannot share your screen or any other monitors. SO HERE IS THE WORKAROUND...
      7. Click the Ellipsis (...) button in the lower-right corner of the Skype for Business window and click Meeting Entry Info.
      8. Click the Copy All Info button, then click Close.
      9. Open a program into which you can paste this information (such as Microsoft Word).
      10. After opening the program, paste the information that was copied in step 8 above.
      11. Go back to the Skype for Business meeting window, and click the red Hang Up button to disconnect the call.
      12. Go back to the program where you pasted the meeting broadcast information, make the hyperlink active, and click on the link.
      13. You should be prompted by your browser to Open Skype for Business 2016. Click the option to open the app on your computer.
      14. When prompted, choose the option Use Skype for Business (full audio and video experience) and click OK.
      15. The Share Content button will now have the features to share desktop and other windows.

There are still a few bugs to be worked out with this that I found during my tests, and I am still testing it. But here is what I've found so far using my iPhone and iPad as external test devices:
      - The attendees need to have the Skype for Business app installed on their device to be able to see the video and shared content.
      - In order to get the users with the Skype for Business app to see shared content, you have to send them the link that you copied in step 8 above.
      - Attendees with the Skype for Business app installed cannot participate in polls, surveys and voting via Microsoft Pulse.
      - Attendees who do not have the Skype for Business app installed can only see the broadcast video via a web browser and are not counted as attendees. Therefore, they cannot see the shared content, they can only see the broadcast video. They need the link that was created when the meeting was initially set up in step 1 above.
      - Attendees who do not have the Skype for Business app installed can participate in polls, voting and surveys via Microsoft Pulse.

So if attendees install the Skype for Business app, they can see the shared content, but cannot participate in voting, polls or surveys via Microsoft Pulse. They need the link in step 8.

If attendees do not have the Skype for Business app and are using a web browser, they cannot see the shared content, but they can vote and participate in polls and surveys via Microsoft Pulse. They need the link in step 1.

I will continue to test on other devices and in other environments and try to come up with the best solution for our organization. I will post my findings then. I've also been in contact with Microsoft and they say that they are working on a solution.

Regards,
      Jeff

• Eric Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is sharing your desktop from Broadcast going to be possible? We cannot switch from GoToWebinar until this feature is out there. The biggest reason is that I would need two people in order to broadcast a slide deck on powerpoint with a camera feed. The reason sharing a powerpoint doesn't work is because it does not go full screen, so we would prefer the sharing desktop and having powerpoint on full screen for people in the room watching and for remote people to see the powerpoint.

• Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We too need the desktop sharing to move from WebEx... Any hints on when this will be available?
      We also see a need for a better way to show anonymous web attendees the IM/chat windows. Any discussions on this topic somewhere?
      Thanks!

• Sonu Arora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on providing VBSS based screen sharing in our new producer client experience. Please stay tuned!

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are very keen to move to this tool from GoToWebinar due to it's many benefits over GoToWebinar. We are however, unable to make the switch as it does not provide desktop sharing, which is an absolute must. I imagine that this will double your customer base for this tool!

Was thinking of using it for short demo sessions on new features of Office 365 - but no demo, no party!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base