• Feedback by UserVoice
  • How can we improve our recently released features?

login sound

URGENT: How can I turn off the login sound?

193 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Submitting...
    • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really unprofessional to start up your PC in a lecture and make this wild whooping sound. Everyone around you sniggers. Remove the sound!

• anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you serious that this sound can't be turned off! Give me the abilty to silence it.

• scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will be uninstalling until this is resolved. I can't believe the opening sound can not be disabled. for ***** sake why don't you just not have an opening sound and if you want to eventually get around to making an option, you can option to turn a sound on for those that want it.

Please implement the option to disable this annoying and pointless sound! Why was it added in the first place?

• David Q commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Robin R. I have silenced the phone ringing sound, the end call sound and the login sound. I found this github repo: github.com:anars/blank-audio.git to find a 1 second of silence mp3.

I copied the 1-second-of-silence.mp3 to the Skype App Contents/Resources/sounds/ directory as silence.m4a. Then symlinked the most annoying sounds to that file.

Boom!

And I will write a script to redo this after an update.

Amazed that this is still an issue - is it part of MS plan to force people away from SfB to Teams??
      The work-around of providing an alternative sound file to 'SFB_Login_01.m4a' does do the trick but not everyone will wish to do that.
      How this 'feature' ever got through UAT is a mystery - as is the fact it's taking so long to fix.

So, when are you going to remove this infernal and disturbing sound? It can't be that hard, and every Mac user hates Skype for Business for this reason.

• Cam Cardow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please turn off the startup sound. I work in an office and it's incredibly disruptive and annoying, plus I don't need to know I just fired up the app like I'm living in 1998. It was cool back then, I suppose.

• Joey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2019! Please add option to disable login sound. It is disruptive to the office environment.

• Tom Richards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny, I did exactly the same thing as Robin. Sadly, every time Skype gets a software update, I have to do it again. Hmmm maybe I can disable updates..?

• Robin R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this. in the meantime I resorted to a hacky workaround (disclaimer:don't try this at home) by switching out SFB_Login_01.m4a for a less offensive sound in the sounds folder in the app container (needs that file to be present else it crashes on startup).

• JMTee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add my voice to the choir asking you to enable the silencing/turning off of the start up sound of SfB, thank you.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype should not adjust my volume setting on my mac ever. I should be doing that on my own. Same thing goes for your android apps.

come on - why cant we disable these stupid noises.. its a not a toy and we are not children.

Quite ridiculous to over-ride user preferences and make a pointless sound.
      Is MS doing this deliberately to annoy its customers?
      I don't know of any other application that does this.

Please add a control to mute this incredibly annoying sound. I have my entire laptop muted for working in a professional office environment. The lack of a mute feature completely negates that, and disturbs others. Thank you.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base